There is a world of beautiful music and community happening at the other end of your mouse and you are missing it because you are too busy running around like a chicken with your head cut off.
There, I said it . . . .
<RANT>
<IMHO>
In this life we are taught many things by many different people. We are taught that in order to be a valid, contributing member of society we must put our dreams aside in favour of a job that will provide all the things we are told we need . . . a house, a car, etc . . Things like the arts always end up as either hobbies or maybe, if you're lucky, a plan B that you come back to once you are established.
We are taught that there is a radio station that will play all the music that we love, and a little bit of other stuff and will do so for as long as we continue to love that music. What they don't tell us is that they will use our love of that music to target us with things that other people want to sell us. They will, and do, calculate how much they earn and modify the music to better address the mood of their target market at any given time. Radio has been corrupt since the beginning. Record executives have been paying to get artists on the radio for years.
The illusion is that it's "Your Favourite Music . . . All Day Every Day". The reality is that they play the music that you strongly identify with and keep playing it so you will keep listening and, presumably buy the things they want to sell you. Are you really that gullible??
In that world, there is little room for new music, and the music that does find its way in is mostly derivative carbon copies that just sounds the same as the music that is being played all the time anyway.
So my question is: Where does new music come in?
The music industry used to control that for the most part. They would support and release music that they thought people might like, taking a gamble on it. If the music sold then all was good, if it didn't sell it quickly vanished back into obscurity never to be seen again. It was a system controlled by commerce more than the actual value of the music and it's responsible for the continuation of the derivatives I think. When the availability of new music is controlled by what's popular there is not much room for music that lives outside the boxes that genre describes.
It's a common practice in our culture, when presented with a new artist by someone, to ask "What's it like?". We generally seem to be unable to assess our interest in new music on the merits of the music itself. Instead use descriptive genre terms like "Folk", or "Punk", or "Rock" to describe it and then decide, right then and there whether we are going to like it or not.
Why can't we listen to the music with an open mind, figure out how it makes us feel, and then decide if we like it or not based on our own opinion rather than a vague, preconceived notion about what kind of music it is?
There is an extreme amount of music being created by amazing artists all over the world.
I can only speak for myself but I can tell you that my music fills my being with love and joy. I have truly found the thing I was meant to do and I am very happy and excited to be doing it. My love for it is apparent when I perform, if you have seen me live you will know exactly what I'm talking about. I see the positive effect my live performances has on people. After every time I play people come to me and tell me about it. They talk about being inspired and feeling really great and happy and that makes it all worth while.
What doesn't seem to be working is the support I receive. I am working really hard at making this my life and I'm in for the long haul, make no mistake about that.
I spend hours working on bookings, reaching out to places that feature music and imploring them to take a chance and have me in. I know that once I get there I can win-over pretty much any audience. Some have taken a chance but many are reluctant to bring in something that is indescribable, something out of the ordinary, something new.
I've been doing a lot of work trying to cultivate a following in Vancouver. I played the open mic at the Cafe deux Soleils last Thursday and stopped every conversation in the room when I sang and spoke (no easy feat in the busy, noisy Drive area). I did two songs and the audience erupted in wild applause after each song. A bunch of people came up to me afterwards and thanked me and said how much they loved it and it was really great. But none of them bought a CD. I gave a few stickers away in hopes that people might go and download some music and maybe donate something to my gas fund but in the end I left poorer than when I arrived.
Add to that what happened last night at the beautiful house concert I helped organize and promote just off the drive. The music was really great, the people who were there enjoyed it a great deal. The challenge was that there was a real lack of paying patrons. In the end both my friend and I (the two touring musicians on the bill), made a little money for our gas tanks and food but there were a lot of empty seats in the house.
I don't mean to piss and moan, I think know all the reasons why this happens . . . Everyone has many demands on their time and disposable income, I got called away, I didn't feel up to it, not everyone likes it enough to buy it, I left my wallet at home, I don't listen to CDs, etc . . . I completely understand that we all have free will and accepting an invitation does not constitute a binding agreement. And I don't think any less of you for not coming, I'm talking about a larger social change that seems to be needed here.
I wonder if you really know the effect that your lack of financial support has on an emerging touring artist (I'm talking about more than me now). When you don't attend, don't buy, don't donate to talented musical acts that you like you put that person/act into jeopardy of not being able to continue.
The reality of life as an unorthodox musician, as I experience it, is that there are very few guarantees when playing, and by that I mean that the places that host music largely DO NOT offer artists a set fee for their performance. Instead they often go with a pass-the-hat arrangement which puts the artist in the position of having to essentially beg the audience for their money. We also have to make sure we talk about having CDs at least a few times in hopes that people will hear it and actually buy them. It's an uphill job that seems to take a long time to get easier.
I'm not asking you for your pity, I'm asking you for your help.
Music is an amazing and miraculous force that has the ability to heal everything, if we can just let go of the preconceptions about what it is and allow it to have a place in our lives. Music is of us, we are vibration and music is just vibration.
If you don't like my music I can respect that, I realize it's not for everyone. But if you do like my music and you like what I'm doing then I ask you to show it and help me to continue by coming to a show, buying a cd, or making a contribution to my gas fund. Your support will have a direct impact on my ability to keep going.
I have two albums for download at: https://dougkoyama.bandcamp.com/music
If you want to donate you can do so through the Paypal link on the front page of my web site at: http://www.koyama.bc.ca
Also, check my Tour Page and see if I'm coming to your town, then come to the show.
If you want to see me perform in your town ask your local, fave place if they have heard of me and would they like to have me in. Or just send me the info and I will get in touch with them. Email: DougKoyama@gmail.com or phone 250-255-6562
And share this blog . . . I'm living my life as Out Loud as I know how in an attempt to connect with you, and as many others. Your help is needed and appreciated more than words can say.
And please tell your friends about me . . . The more people who know the easier it will become to make it go. I know I can count on you.
</IMHO>
</RANT>
Thank you, with love and gratitude.
Doug
No comments:
Post a Comment