I love my life.
I spend most days thinking about music and the beautiful people that I encounter as I go about making a life in music. Each day seems to bring back to me some of the loving vibration that I have been sending out since I awoke a few years ago but it's far from perfect. . . . This is going to be a bit of a rant . . . :)
There are days when I don't have enough fuel for my van to do anything but sit and work on ways of making some. I want to live in a world where things like that are provided for people who are doing what they are meant to do. A world where rather than having to sit in the woods for two days because I don't have the money for insurance until the next show (which is two days hence), I can focus on the art and not have to worry about the details of getting around.
I don't expect a free ride, that's not what this is about. I just want to be able to do what I do because I know it's right and I can see the positive results of what I'm doing.
It's actually one of the strangest dichotomies I experience. On one hand I go to music festivals and make amazing connections with beautiful people who I love, and who love me. Every weekend seems to be full of people having profound experiences in my presence. People tell me how amazing they think I am and how much they love what I'm doing and that's great . . . Then I get to the merch booth at the end of the weekend and pick up the $23 that two people have left there for me (that's two cds and a sticker).
I understand that my music is very different, but you said you loved it . . . .
I do everything I can to support people who I know who are working hard to make a life in the arts because I think that's important. I repost shows and share things directly with people who I think might be interested. I go to shows when I can, and pay full price to get in (I really don't expect a free ride), and I clap the loudest and the longest when I'm there. I talk to people about artists that I love, hoping that they will love them too. I tell people how much I loved their set, not because I have to but rather because I really loved their set.
I don't mean to gripe but I have to get this out. I really do love this but when I'm down to eating peanut butter and crackers and waiting for a week for a show so I can put a little fuel in my van I get a little frustrated. Your good will is appreciated but does not get me any further down the road.
I really do love this life . . . . I know you can tell that I do, I wear it on my face. As I said, I'm not looking for a free ride. I am willing to give all that I am, all that I can. I just don't know how long I can keep doing this without your support. I have skills that will allow me to become employed by someone again but it's the LAST thing I want to do. It will suck the soul out of my art.
Does that sound like something you want to be a part of? . . . The support I mean. . . .
Here's what you can do:
Come out to a show. I have one coming up in Vancouver at the end of the month with my divine friend Shelder the Electric Clamfish (https://www.facebook.com/events/1503182839925517) and another in Prince George on October 12 (details announced soon).
Go out to another show. Building the idea of going to a show instead of sitting on the couch or computer will eventually benefit all of us.
Buy a CD from an independent touring artist. Many people say "that will help us get down the road", and they mean it. Sometimes it's the difference between moving along and sitting still trying to come up with fuel. You can pay what you want for mine on Bandcamp at: https://dougkoyama.bandcamp.com/music
Tell your friends about shows when they come around, make plans to go with a bunch of them. Music is the universal language and live music is the most compelling form. Go ahead, engage in it with your peers.
Print a poster for your friend who lives far away and has no way to do it. When someone is coming to your town ask them if you can print and put up some posters for them. It will help more than you can know.
Make some music yourself . . . . It's healing, like medicine . . .
ENGAGE IN THE MUSIC COMMUNITY . . . . It's the most amazing, diverse, magical thing to have access to live music . . . If you don't support it, it will go away and you'll be left listening to the same old crap on the radio.
No comments:
Post a Comment